Saturday, June 10, 2017

Day one and we thought it would be an easy one, silly me. - Kerri, Caroline,yours truly, Brian

walking day one- we left Cork for Tralee this morning and the moment we got to Tralee, we started our walk to Camp, the first night stop on this trail
CAMP 6/16/17
This is a small fishing village near the Slieve Mish Mountains at the northern end of the Dingle peninsular in County Kerry. This town is associated with the Milesians, the first race of people to settle Ireland. They were Gaels (Gaelic) and sailed the world for hundreds of years from Hispania, till finally settling in this part of Ireland.
Here at the official start of the way, which as it turns out is also one of the satellite Caminos affiliated with the Camino de Santiago in Spain which I did two years ago. is where we took the first group photo.




Lunch behind a rock out of the wind,  and below, a quiet country lane which we had a few of. It was a good day,
Longer than expected and hard climbs, but we made it in 7 hours


We started at the Thomas Ashe Memorial park which was named after the first Irishman to die from a hunger strike in 1917, fighting for Ireland's independence
We headed along the River Lee and then climbed up into the mountains that border the bay. The path was rocky and pretty steep in places, between the rocks and furrows there were a million mud
puddles and bogs.
Yes, that is Kerri telling Brian he's wrong again. 

J
The guide book claimed 11 miles, but using my average walk time and a GPS Caroline was carrying, it was more like 15 miles. When we came into the town of Camp for the night, the local publican said that today was the hardest day of the whole walk, he lied.

I have to say, I was pretty proud of the girls because this was not the start I expected, and
they soldiered on regardless. The mistake I made, and I have to own it, is that I figured an easy day with a village somewhere along the way to eat, we walked the whole thing with no food and little water,,,that's what you get for listening to me.
 We are at a great B and B , and the food at the pub tonight was excellent. I had Lamb.
Just got an email from my credit card company telling me my credit card has been compromised so they have to cancel it, how f.. convenient. At least I don't have to pay for all the fraudulent charges. I'll have to wait till I get home too get the new one. I at least have my Wells fargo card to rely on.
Off to bed at 9.30 and tomorrow we start the day with a full Irish breakfast,,,that's eggs, rashers, black
pudding, white pudding, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, mushy peas , fried bread and coffee, OH YEAH.

Tomorrow is another 11 mile day ( if you believe the book), but we hit the coast mid day at a town called INCH, then walk along on the beach for awhile towards our night atop.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an adventure already. Too bad about the credit card. Perhaps you can wash some dishes in exchange for a meal????

    ReplyDelete

                                                                                           IRELAND - THE EMERALD ISLE As usual, I ma...